Mango chutney is a tangy and sweet condiment that adds a burst of flavor to a variety of dishes. Made with ripe mangoes, aromatic spices, and a hint of heat, this versatile chutney is a popular choice in many cuisines. Whether you want to spice up your sandwiches, enhance your curries, or simply enjoy it as a dip, mango chutney is sure to delight your taste buds. In this article, we will explore the easy-to-follow recipe for mango chutney, discuss its ingredients and instructions, and provide answers to some frequently asked questions.
Mango Chutney Recipe
To prepare mango chutney, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 fl oz Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Ginger, minced
- 1 each Red Chili
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 5 each Large Mango, peeled and diced 1/4"
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
Follow these steps to make delicious mango chutney:
- Using a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced ginger and red chili to the pan and sauté for about a minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the coriander, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, cloves, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the diced mangoes and granulated sugar to the pan. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour in the apple cider vinegar and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Allow the chutney to simmer, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened up. This usually takes about an hour.
- Once the chutney has reduced and thickened, remove it from the heat and let it cool.
- Transfer the mango chutney to a sealable container and store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
FAQs about Mango Chutney
1. How long can I store mango chutney?
Mango chutney can be stored in a sealable container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Make sure to use a clean spoon every time you scoop out the chutney to maintain its freshness.
2. Can I use different types of mangoes for the chutney?
Yes, you can experiment with different varieties of mangoes to achieve various flavors and textures in your chutney. Just make sure they are ripe and sweet for the best results.
3. Is mango chutney spicy?
Mango chutney can have a mild to moderate level of spiciness, depending on the type and amount of chili you use. Adjust the chili quantity according to your taste preferences.
4. Can I use mango chutney as a marinade?
Absolutely! Mango chutney works wonderfully as a marinade for meats, seafood, or vegetables. Its tangy and sweet flavors add depth to your dishes and help tenderize the ingredients.
5. Can I freeze mango chutney for long-term storage?
Yes, you can freeze mango chutney in airtight containers or freezer bags for up to three months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before using and consume it within a week after thawing.
6. Can I use mango chutney in sandwiches or wraps?
Certainly! Mango chutney adds a delightful twist to sandwiches, wraps, and burgers. Spread it on bread or tortillas and enjoy the burst of flavors it brings to your meals.
Mango chutney is a versatile and mouthwatering condiment that elevates the taste of various dishes. With its blend of ripe mangoes, aromatic spices, and a touch of heat, it offers a delightful combination of flavors. By following the simple recipe provided in this article, you can easily prepare mango chutney at home. Whether you use it as a dip, a marinade, or a sandwich spread, mango chutney is sure to impress your family and guests with its unique taste. So, grab some mangoes and get ready to savor the delectable goodness of homemade mango chutney!